- Subject: English
- AS: 90857
- Level: 1
- Credits: 3
1.6 Construct and deliver an oral text
For an effective oral presentation it must be well written, using a variety of language techniques appropriate to the topic and audience. Some language techniques may include:
- rhetorical question – ask a question which doesn't need to be answered to get your audience thinking about their own opinions
- repetition – of an idea or sentence structure helps to link ideas
- hyperbole – is an exaggeration often used to add humour
- imperative – a command word used to grab attention
- listing – of examples and words to support and idea
- alliteration – using words starting with the same letter to make it memorable.
Look at the beginning of a speech from an NCEA exemplar to see how to annotate your language techniques (Word, 27KB).