Mathematics 1.7 Apply right angled triangles in solving measurement problems
- You need a calculator for this achievement standard.
- Check that your calculator is in "degree" mode at the start of the exam. If your calculator is in the wrong mode, you will get the wrong answers even if you do the correct working.
- If using a Graphics Calculator make sure you are in DEG mode.
SETUP (SHIFT MENU)
Scroll down to ‘Angle’ and check it says ‘Deg’. If not push F1 (Deg).
- You need to know that a bearing is an angle measured form North in a clockwise direction.
- Write bearings with only three digits (no decimals).
- Use appropriate rounding and units.
- Round lengths using significant figures, for example, 'The distance is 360 metres (2sf).'
- Round angle measurements to 1 decimal place unless told otherwise, for example, ‘The angle is 56.7 degrees (1dp).’
- Do not round until the final step in your answer as this affects the accuracy of your answer.
- Check that your answer makes sense in the context of the question. If not, check your working and method.
- Show working to back up the steps you take to come to a solution.
- Ensure you know how to use measuring equipment such as a measuring tape, protractor, and clinometer.
- A scale drawing is not appropriate in this achievement standard.
Back to top