- Subject: Mathematics
- AS: 90647
- Level: 3
- Credits: 3
Statistics and modelling 3.7 Use a mathematical model involving curve fitting to solve a problem
The level of achievement that you reach is decided by the questions that you answer correctly.
- You use a mathematical model involving curve fitting to solve a problem.
- Model will involve y = axn or y = amx or y = Aekt.
- Data will be provided and the form of the model will be given.
Achievement with Merit
- You need to reach Achievement.
- You use curve fitting to determine an appropriate model and solve a practical problem.
- Data will be generated by a practical situation.
- The choice of model will be either a power function or an exponential function or a piecewise function involving a combination of the above, and will require:
- selecting a model to test
- constructing an appropriate graph
- determining the equation of the model.
- You will collect your own data and determine the form of the model.
Achievement with Excellence
- You need to reach Achievement with Merit.
- You justify the choice of mathematical model to solve a problem.
- Justification within the context will include some of the following:
- relating the solution to the problem
- considering the nature of the underlying variables
- considering the possibility of more than one model
- relating the theory to the model
- discussing limitations of the model.